Rinpoche and Lamas
His Eminence Saljey Rinpoche
Eminence, Saljey Rinpoche received appropriately the profound ripening
empowerments and the freeing spoken commentary teachings from The
Accomplished Drupchen Karma Norbu, His Eminence Jamgon Tai Situ
Rinpoche, Jeytsun Yeshey Rabgyay, Khenpo Karma Tsenten, Jamyang Lodoe
Rinchen, Khenpo Toru Tsenam, Khenpo Chimey Rapten and other kind
teachers. By continuously remaining in meditational retreats, day and
night, in mountain hermitages and places of solitude, His Eminence did
rigorous practice on The Skilful Path of The Great Seal and The Freeing
Path of The Six Teachings of Naropa the profound points of Generating
and Completion Stages, and as such actualized fully the excellent
virtues of The Grounds and The Path.
At this time of near setting of the sun of Dharma and
monasteries, His Eminences, like the first glow of dawn appearing,
resolved to work towards re-establishment of the main and the branch
monasteries. These were well completed. His Eminence established again
the Retreat Monastery of Gampopa and that of Bahrom in the north. His
Eminence fostered many hundreds of practitioners engaged in learning,
practice and benevolent services, by giving to them sustenance, shelter
and teachings. Those who are diligent at their Dharma practice His
Eminence entreated them with inspiration to recite billions of Mani (Om
Mani Padme Hum) compassion prayers. Those who are handicapped, poor,
beggars and elderly, His Eminence cared for them by his loving
Now, during this degenerate time when teachings are
bartered, and when rush is for selfish, personal gains, following the
advice of his kind teacher The Accomplished Drupchen Karma Norbu
Rinpoche, His Eminence has been in very strict meditational retreat.
(Note: The Great Choejey Bahrom was one of the main
disciples of Gampopa and the founder of Bahrom Kagyud lineage. His
Eminence Kyabjey Saljey Rinpoche is an emanation of Manjushri.)
|His Holiness the 17th Karmapa||the Ven Sonam Tenzin Rinpoche|
Biography of the Ven Sonam Tenzin Rinpoche
I was born in Kham, Nangchen Chodrak of Tibet in 1971. Chodrak Chenjum
Seng-ha is a sacred holy place discovered by Guru Rinpoche
Padmasambhava. Close by is my birth place, Chodrak Lungmagka. At the
age of eight, I was ordained as a novice monk under His Eminence
Chodrak Saljey Rinpoche and Venerable Lama Yeshe Rab-ge Rinpoche at
Chodrak Monastery of both Barum Kagyu and Karma Kagyu traditions. I
trained here for ten years, until eighteen years of age. During this
time I received full foundation practice and monastic training. I
gained skills in Tibetan Grammar and Lexicography, chanting, torma
making and other traditional skills pertaining to monastic life.
I received a great many teachings and transmissions from Ven. Lama Yeshe Rab-ge Rinpoche, some of which included:
- The Words Of My Perfect Teacher by Dza Patrul Rinpoche
- Torch of Certainty by Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche.
- Four Foundations of Buddhism Practise
- The Four Extraordinary Preliminary Practises of Mahamudra.
fourteen years of age I received novice ordination of monks vows of the
Nyingma tradition from Kinchen Aarig Pense Rinpoche, and continued to
gain teachings of:
- Bodhisattva Acharya Avatara from Shantideva
- Prajnaparamita from Getsun Jampa Gompo.
- Abhidharma; buddhist metaphysics training of discriminating knowledge.
- Training in Perfect Conduct, ascertaining the three vows.
- Ngari Panchen, Pema Wangyi Gyalpo.
two years Kenpho Daser Rinphoche and Khenpo Tsoltse Rinpoche offered
many great and special teachings. Also, at Palpung monastry H.E. the
Twelfth Tai Situ Rinpoche offered a great blessing for two months of
the Kagyu Tradition; Damngag Zod (The Treasure of Pith Instructions),
ordination of Pratisambhara, Bodhichitta and Secret Mantrayana.
In 1983, the main Philosophy subjects I studied under the
auspices of Chodrak Abbot, Ven. Khenpo Damchoe Dawa Rinpoche, and
Khenpo Shedrup Gyurmed Rinpoche. Bodhisattva Acharya Avatara ( The
Gateway to Bodhisattva's Conduct), Gyalsey Laklen (Practice of
Bodhisattvas),Tri Samvaray Domsom Accomplishments include memorising
Bodhisattva Acharya Avatara and Prajnaparamita texts in full.
In 1992, I went from East Tibet to West Tibet to follow
His Holiness, the 17th Gyalwa Karmapa who was being enthroned. At this
time, I had an opportunity to acquire his audience as many as seven
times and during each of the audiences I received a number of
initiations, instructions and teachings from him. I and several others
took this opportunity to escape Tibet and reached Nepal after an
arduous journey of 29 days passing through deep gorges and stiff cliffs
into dense forest and dark nights. This was a particularly dangerous
time had the Chinese caught us attempting to escape the consequences
would most certainly have resulted in life imprisonment. Within this
time of travel we experienced seven days without food, some of my
companions came very close to death, however fortunately we all made it
through to the Nepalese border together.
At Chodrak monastry there are three main Rinpoche's; H.E.
Saljey Rinpoche, Tongka Rinpoche and H.E Ten Nying Rinpoche. H.E Ten
Nying Rinpoche has monastry Boudha Chodrak Tennying Monastry in
Kathmandu, I resided here for seven years. During this time I was
actively involved in study and ceremonial duties, I also received the
very auspicious teachings from H.E. Sangye Nyempa Rinpoche of seven
point mind training. In 1999 I then joined the three year, three month
retreat in Palpin Penchin Drubdey Osel Chuling Retreat Centre under the
close guidance of H. E. Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche and Ven. Tenga Rinpoche.
This retreat encompassed the Method path which is the Six Yogas of
Naropa, the Liberation path, which is Mahamudra, and the Upper and
Lower Tantric practices, which includes the generation stage, the
completion stage and mantra recitations. This retreat was completed in
In October 2002, I accepted the position of Resident Lama
at Kagyu Thigsum Chokyi Ghatsal Centre at Launceston, Tasmania at the
request of Venerable Choje Lama Shedrup. I have since resided there
performing ritual duties such as Puja, chanting, meditation classes,
Tibetan Language classes and studying English.
the Ven Sonam Tenzin Rinpoche.
I have received many
teachings from my Gurus led by HH 17th Gyalwa Karmapa Orgyen Trinley
Dorje. During the time that His Holiness 17th Karmapa was enthroned at
Tsurphu Monastery in Tibet, I had the opportunity to meet him in
audience as many as seven times and, during each audience, I received a
number of teachings, initiations and instructions from him. From His
Eminence Tai Situ Rinpoche, I received the complete set of teachings of
Damngag Zod (The Treasure of Pith Instructions), ordination of
Pratisambhara, Bodhicita and Secret Mantrayana at the time when His
Eminence visited his main seat in Tibet, Palpung Monastery. I also
received many essential teachings when His Eminence was in Taiwan.
List of practices undertaken during the Three Year Retreat:
- Background history relating to the dissemination of Buddhism
- How to generate Bodhicita (altruistic mind)
- Facilitating an environment conducive to commitment to practice
- How to rely on antidotes and dispel obstacles during the course of practice
- How to perform rituals in order to develop one’s inspiration toward observing virtuous action
- Mantra propitiation of the Secret Drop of Vajrakilaya
- The four preliminary revulsion practices on CommonMahamudra
- The four uncommon preliminary practices
- The Guru propitiation practice on Lord Milarepa
- The Guru propitiation practice on Karma Pakshi
- The Seven Point Mind training Practice
- Contemplation on the training of Tranquility and Mental Insight
- Exterior propitiation of Vajrabharahi
- Interior propitiation of Vajrabharari
- Rules of Fire Puja
- The Secret Propitiation of Vajrabharari
- Practices on the Six Dharmas of Naropa
- The exterior practice on the Manta of Chakrasambara
- Internal and external propitiation of Chakrasambara
- Propitiation of Perfect Secret
- Fire Puja of Hevajra
- The exterior Mantra Propitiation of Gyalwa Gyatso
- Mantra Propitiation of Vairochana(Kunrig)
- The Grand Puja on Kunrig
- The Mantra Propitiation on Gonpo Mitrukpa(Achala)
- Fire Puja of Achala
- The Mantra Propitiation of Amhitaba
- The mantra Propitiation of Dorje Drolo (Wrathful Form of Guru Padmasambhava)
- The propitiatory practice on the Six Armed Mahakala with consort (Yeshe Gonpo Berchen)
- The means of accumulating merit through Chod practice, known as the Sources of All Qualities
- The Mantra Propitiation of White Tara which bestows all accomplishments
- The Grand Propitiatory Puja
- The Fire Puja of White Tara
- The Regala Propitiatory Pujas hel frequently in the year
- The trainings related to the things to be practised and things to be abandoned
- How to conclude the Retreat.
the Ven Sonam Tenzin's Family